Labels

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Relationships could possibly go better if we knew nothing about them.

Relationships can be tough., there is drama, jealousy, trust issues, and just a whole load of other things that can go wrong. And come to thinking about why we feel this way when things go wrong has made me think maybe we have created these standards of what a relationship should be and it actually does more harm then good.I also want to say this is a view point I have about this subject and I could be wrong but its worth giving a chance to think about.

You have probably caught yourself saying from time to time and also heard from your opposite, " thats not what you do in a relationship" or " as boyfriend/girlfriend you should be paying more attention to me" and well you know where im getting at. We have a natural habit of creating these standards that cause us to think how everything should go and how the other should act. We place these timelines on our selfs with the other person and if the other is going faster or slower then expected it just creates problems for you and vice versa. We have an idea of how it has to be perfect and when it actually strays from this fantasy, we see issues that don't really exist other then in our minds.

Why do we do this? is it because of how integrated we are that we compare our selfs to a million other people. Just 100 years ago we were only able to compare to the people who we interact with on a daily basis. But now we see the experiences of people on TV, on the internet, in the news papers now( I know these existed a 100 years ago but there is so much more celebrity gossip now), in movies and also the people around us. We have gain all this knowledge of what relationships should be that we try to be like every other failing relationship. This has maybe caused us to come up with these standards that we live by so closely. Also I would like to point out that its not necessarily the medias fault, but I think it has contributed to it.

This is a hard thing to stop doing, we have been doing it all our lives, I have done it, you have done it, we have all done it. But how do we fix such a ridiculous problem that we have created. Should we just swallow our pride when we get those empty jealousy thoughts and just pretend we don't feel it. I don't think thats a good idea because it will come out later and much harsher then if you did it at the time. Maybe we should just follow our heart with someone, Don't set timelines, and give up those standards. I think if we thought about those standards when we are having an issue it will help us think differently when we get those thoughts.

I don't want to be giving out the wrong idea, there is a time when some of these standards should be in forced. And this example should be a given no matter what, but staying loyal to your significant other is an important one.

No comments:

Post a Comment